Monday, July 13, 2026

 I finally made it down to North Park Theaters 14th annual Ghibli chalk contest. Its been a few years, battling my own demons and life's toss ups that I havent had the desire to participate. Proud of finishing this one.

I had made a quick concept sketch of what I wanted to do, wanted to keep it simple and only a few colors to save money/time. It gets very hot, and in the past ive spent the full 2 days working on a piece. Blending hurts your hands, and there's always a risk of bad weather passing through. One year they did a DBZ/Ghibli mashup and I chose to draw Haku alsongside Shenron/Shenlong. It ended up raining overnight and I couldnt get back to it, but a local photographer had gotten some nice photos the previous day.

I placed 2nd for a Kiki's delivery service homage to the bread sign outside the bakery one year, and the first year I ever did it, I was living in my hometown 4 hours away and drove to participate. I ended up drawing Ponyo's mom, Granmamare and it was my first time experiencing the heat.

Anyway, here are the shots of the finished piece. I chatted with the guy who runs it, Chris, who ive known for a long time. I bought him a milkshake from Churn down the street and we talked about the upcoming Odyssey movie and I might have a board game night buddy now for Gather and Game downtown. Will I go see ODyssey? Probably. Will I like it? Thats debatable.


 







No comments:

Post a Comment

 Sometimes the war within requires me to confront my opinion on whether or not I want to make content to share, for the purpose of sharing. ...